Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010


Real vs Fake
As young children we eat from the hands of our mothers. This leaves great responsibility for our mothers, who live in a world of the western diet. There are two simple choices: eat the convent, good tasting processed foods or eat the healthy, natural non-processed foods.

Fortunately for me, my mother chooses to eat healthy, natural, organic products. One of my childhood memories is after dinner being forced to eat my mum’s homemade custard. She made this custard from scratch four days per week. I remember it took twice as long to eat a bowl of mum’s custard than to eat my entire dinner.

The taste was horrible and the smell was even worse. When the custard was left to cool for a couple of minutes, a thick layer would congregate over the top of the custard. This layer would leave a texture that would not appeal to any child. But no matter how much I did not enjoy eating this, mum would convince me that it was good for me and I would finish the bowl.

Mum continued to make homemade custard until I was 8. At which point she had three children; two in elementary school and one in preschool. On top of this she had just started working part time. Due to a lack of time homemade custard was no more; I was ecstatic.

Homemade custard was replaced, with what my brother and I referred to as “proper custard” which came from the store. This new processed custard taste, felt and smelt great. Custard was now something my brothers and I looked forward to after dinner. However from a nutritional point of view we had taken a backward step.

The “proper processed custard” was over packed with both fat and sugar. The box claimed that it was a nutritionally superior to mums custard with added vitamins and minerals. Sarah Dobec’s article “Whole Foods – Whole Health” discusses how processing food leaves deficiency in nutrients and the health repercussion this will cause. Sarah believes that eating more natural foods will lead to a healthier life style.

The unfortunate fact is the majority of people will go for convince and taste over health and that is what my family was forced to choose. I am sure that if my mum still had time or could find time in the future we will all go back to eating that disgusting but nutritional custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment